Why We Call Our Blog the Miracle of More

The miracle is a beautiful image of Ephesians 3:20--more than I can ask or imagine. Every day is a miracle. Every moment is a miracle. Specifically for our family, the miracle of more is our family growing in ways I would never have imagined when we first committed to adoption 8 years ago. But, the greatest miracle is the change in ME!

If you have questions about adoption, our work in South Africa, or spina bifida, please email me at rbmattox@bellsouth.net

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Giving Them To Jesus





As I was waking Josie-Tatum for school this morning, I shouted, "Hip, hip, hooray, it's the last day." And, as soon as I said it, I was reminded....that across the loft upstairs, Brandon and Caleb were preparing for their last day, their last day of school--ever.

Where did the time go? Just twelve years ago, I was waking Caleb up for his last day of kindergarten? Just twelve years ago, Brandon's mother was alive, getting him up for his last day of school, knowing she had little time left. How much she would like to be here on this day! I grew very emotional.

I know that change is necessary. I know that it is our job as parents to prepare our children to become independent. God has entrusted us with them, so we can in turn entrust them to Him. We truly don't want them to be dependent on us forever, but today, for just a minute, I wished they weren't all grown up. I miss the little boy Caleb, with spiked hair playing with Batman toys. I am saddened when I think of the years I missed when I didn't know Brandon. I wished I had been given more time with him.

But, I am soooooooooo proud of my boys. How many mothers can say the worst thing her 18 year old boy has done is get suspended from school because he forgot a knife was in his truck. How many mamas of eighteen year old boys were given big bear hugs today, kisses, and lifted off the floor? How many mamas of 18 year old boys hear, "I love you," every day. Thank you, Jesus, for my boys.

Thank you for their determination to stay away from drugs and alcohol. I know there have been moments when they were offered. Thank you for their desire to be successful. Thank you for Caleb who has already signed up for the Navy. Thank you for Brandon, who is headed to UGA, who wants to be the kind of teacher BH has inspired him to be.

Thank you, to you, my blogger friends. Thank you for the many prayers you have prayed for my family. Thank you, that I can trust you to continue to pray for these priceless treasures.





Brandon was blessed by two special guests tonight. Praise the LORD! Years before he became part of our family, he lived with his mother's best friend and her husband. Mr. Jerry and his brother-in-law drove 2 1/2 hours to visit with Brandon tonight. Following graduation, we all went out to dinner. It was wonderful reunion for Brandon with "family" he's only seen twice in the past 8 years.

Mr. Jerry and Mr. Link arrived in our hometown a couple of hours before graduation was to begin, but the boys had to report to the high school. Ellie and Mr. Link became fast friends. He gave the girls gifts, and within minutes Ellie had him in "time out" at the bottom of the stairs. They took Tigger to the hospital because he was sick with a broken tail. After dinner tonight, I was given to greatest of all compliments from Mr. Link. While I had only met him hours before, he gave me the sweetest hug and said, "You are a remarkable lady, and I have fallen in love with your family. May I please come back to visit?" Isn't that what I hope and pray for, that others would see Jesus in us, and be drawn to the Jesus who walks with us everyday??????????????



The rain, and the rain, and the rain. Did I mention that is has rained this week, everyday this week? The rain forced graduation indoors, a totally packed gymnasium with over 200 graduates, each allowed 6 guests. The boys were incredibly hot and miserable, drenched with perspiration by the time graduation was over.


Caleb with his girlfriend, Casey. Casey is a junior and served as an usher for tonight's graduation.


This is what life is really like, living with Caleb and Brandon. Caleb is horsing around with House. House is Brandon's future roommate at UGA.

3 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

What lovely pictures, Robbie. I can just feel the pride in all their smiles. Your boys are wonderful role models for their little sisters. Have a blessed Memorial Weekend!!

Sally-Girl! said...

What a precious post! You indeed are a very lucky and blessed woman! And also wise to know that at times with graduated 18 year old boys no matter how good they are is to turn them over to their Heavenly Father.

I actually think some of my most challenging parenting has been of my adult children when they make choices not even bad ones just ones that are not conducive to their lifestyle or dreams and having to sit back and watch them learn. It seemed easier when I felt I was in control!

Beautiful family!

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

That was such a beautiful post about your boys! I'm in tears! I don't know where the time goes but they do grow up fast!

Give yourself a pat on your back...you have something to be proud of!!!

Blessings,
Robin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ellie Min Chun

Ellie Min Chun
Josie-Tatum's MeiMei