Why We Call Our Blog the Miracle of More

The miracle is a beautiful image of Ephesians 3:20--more than I can ask or imagine. Every day is a miracle. Every moment is a miracle. Specifically for our family, the miracle of more is our family growing in ways I would never have imagined when we first committed to adoption 8 years ago. But, the greatest miracle is the change in ME!

If you have questions about adoption, our work in South Africa, or spina bifida, please email me at rbmattox@bellsouth.net

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Confessions of a Single Mom: More than a Couch

(Please read all the way to then end to see the MIRACLE of MORE.)

I never prayed for a couch.

I needed one, but I didn't pray for one. I ran into a member of our church family at Goodwill where I was looking at a sofa. We had a sofa and love seat that was not cheap, but was apparently cheaply made. The arms were separating from the seats. The recliners were hard to open. There were other issues, too. But, new furniture is certainly NOT in my single mom budget right now.

A couple of days later I received a message from the same person I saw at Goodwill asking me if I was still looking for a sofa. She told me she was keeping her eye out for one for me. (I never asked her to do that for us.) A couple of weeks had passed when I received this picture.



She asked me if I liked it. When I told her I did, she told me to be praying.

Two days later she called. She and her husband had taken the time to drive to where it was located and see it, to sit on it, and make sure it was comfortable. As we talked, she added more details. Another member of our church family had been working with her. He had a trailer and was going to help pick it up. AND, they were going to get some men over to bring it to my house AND take my old furniture away.

My kids were BEYOND excited, especially when they learned both pieces were sleepers.

As a convoy of vehicles pulled up to our house, I was reminded that I did not pray for a couch. Five men and 3 ladies entered our home, delivered our furniture, and took away the old.

A precious godly man asked if he could pray for our family.

And, I remembered, I did NOT pray for a couch.

But, I want each of these men to know what I have been praying for.

Since the divorce, I have prayed for godly male mentors for my boys.( I do not wish to belittle their father. He has become a good dad, but in this one area, the boys still have a great need.)

As those men-and ladies- gathered in our great room and joined hands with my children and me to pray, I remembered what I have been praying for. I was overwhelmed at that moment, thinking of the servants' hearts that were in that room. I was amazed at how God was showing me a glimpse of His answer to the prayer of my mother's heart. My sons and daughters were seeing men who love JESUS serving JESUS and loving on us.

You can ask the boys where our new-to-us furniture came from. They will give one of two answers, "Our church friends," or "Jesus."

The LORD used His servants to encourage this mama more than they EVER could have imagined. And, I want them to know that they are serving an Ephesians 3:20 God. He is able to do more than we can ask or think.

Even as a single mom, He still is the MIRACLE of MORE!

2 comments:

Terry said...

That is so awesome Robbie! God can hear our hearts too!

Unknown said...

I discovered you and your family on the website that my daughter used while she was waiting and finally adopting her daughter from China. When that website shut down I continued to follow you at this web page. I miss reading about you and your family. I discovered that you are on facebook. Could I become your friend on facebook so that I can follow your advertures there. Thanks Janeene Gellerman

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ellie Min Chun

Ellie Min Chun
Josie-Tatum's MeiMei