Why We Call Our Blog the Miracle of More

The miracle is a beautiful image of Ephesians 3:20--more than I can ask or imagine. Every day is a miracle. Every moment is a miracle. Specifically for our family, the miracle of more is our family growing in ways I would never have imagined when we first committed to adoption 8 years ago. But, the greatest miracle is the change in ME!

If you have questions about adoption, our work in South Africa, or spina bifida, please email me at rbmattox@bellsouth.net

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wonder-Working, Awe-Inspiring, Jehovah-Jirah


Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him; talk ye of all his wondrous works. Psalm 105:2

How can we put into words any description of the God we serve? And, yet, how can we sit quietly without talking of his wondrous works?

Today, I asked God for a big work. Yeah, I know, has He not done enough for me already? Am I Doubting Thomas? Stepping out in faith, committing to the mission to South Africa, having no clue where the finances would come from, I am WAY out of my comfort zone.

Stan and I agreed that we would take nearly all of our savings to purchase the airline tickets for Josie-Tatum and me. I think his words were, "We've lived on less." We stepped out in faith, trusting that God would provide. But, like Martha, I had begun to think He was four days late.

We were beginning to see red.....and, while red is the color of celebration in China, our bank has a different perspective. Many have contributed, and, as soon as our current fund raiser is finished, I will enjoy changing the amount below our header....but funds were really falling below sea level.

Today was pay day for both of us, so I knew we would rise above the surface, catch up a little, buy some more time to make up for the $3,100 we had already paid out for airline tickets.

I went to our online banking screen to see where we stood. There was my check and Stan's check listed, as we have direct deposit. But, there was something wrong with Stan's check. It was $973 too much! No, not $9.73, but $973.00. I knew there must be a mistake. We are both state employees. We can neither one make over-time, etc. We work for a straight salary/contract amount. I waited all day, until after school to call him at the prison. (He's not a prisoner, BTW, he's an officer.) I told him what had happened.

One-and-a half hours later, he called back, "That money is ours!!!!!!!" He had so much comp time built up, and had so much unused sick time and annual leave, he was paid for his comp time, over-time, holiday pay, and days in training. Did you hear me shout? "Praise the LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

We all know Abraham was on the mountain, prepared to make a sacrifice I could never make, when God provided the sacrifice. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-Jirah, the LORD will Provide.

What inspiration He sends when I am living His word. And, I must shout, "Today, I was living trust." Then, the LORD did what only He can do, not what I expected, not what I imagined.

And, if I could share one more inspiration.

As Josie-Tatum and I have prayed that the LORD would provide for our trip, you have read of the gifts from children, one who gave a dollar, one who gave five dollars. Josie-Tatum and I did discuss the fish and the loaves, how Jesus fed thousands with the small gift of a child.

And, isn't is just like God when that very night, after I put the little girls to bed, that same story was part of my daily Bible reading? How had I forgotten? They took up of the fragments that remained twelve full baskets!! God not only provided for the needs, he had left-overs. He spoke to my heart, that I should not expect Him to provide only the $6,000 for our mission trip, I should expect left-overs. We had learned that week that the cost of sending one orphan to the school at Build the Nations is $585 a year. I told Josie-Tatum we were going to expect at least $585 more than we asked for, so we could make sure one more orphan goes to school.

Then, when God showed up today, I was surprised. ;) When I am I going to live every day expecting to see the promises of Ephesians 3:20? When will I learn to look for him to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine? Will you join me in looking for the unimaginable?

9 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Oh my. I have tears reading your post. I haven't forgotten. I will get you something in the mail. I promise. I can't wait to follow your journey. Hugs!!

PS. Chicken pox has hit our house. Did you that you can get it even with the vaccine? ugh.

Margaret and Cordel said...

That is just beautiful!! PRAISE GOD!!!!

Anita said...

Isn't the Lord just amazing in His provisions for all of us lately? WOW!!! Awesome God we serve is right! :)

Addie Talley, Photographer said...

It is amazing to see God work! This was such confirmation to me.

One Happy Momma said...

Praising God with you!!

Oh how He is such an awesome God!

Blessings -

Cathy

Amy said...

Praise the Lord! He will provide. We too have not forgotten, just waiting for that payday you mentioned. It will be in the mail soon.
Amy

Terry said...

That is such wonderful news Robbie and I really need to hear it. I've really been struggling this week since Brad's hours have been cut back at work. This is during a time that He says "yes" about going to Honduras with my son. We just needed to use the money we had to pick up Asher so now I'm pray we have enough for that!

Evan was sick this week and not sleeping...which means I don't sleep either. So I'm tired. But God is still faithful...I've been trying to find time alone with Him and it's hard when I'm in demand :) But He is still faithful...Praying for that floodgate to open and not to be anxious....

Gwen Oatsvall said...

amen sister ... when we get a donation from a stranger or sell like 10 shirts in one day I am amazed and I shouldn't be ... My Lord is more than capable to bring home HIS children to our family ... I will try and walk in faith more w/ ya sister !!!

Laurel said...

Praising Jesus with you! We have seen a LOT of those type of provisions this past year, as our income was cut in half.

mama of 13

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ellie Min Chun

Ellie Min Chun
Josie-Tatum's MeiMei