Why We Call Our Blog the Miracle of More

The miracle is a beautiful image of Ephesians 3:20--more than I can ask or imagine. Every day is a miracle. Every moment is a miracle. Specifically for our family, the miracle of more is our family growing in ways I would never have imagined when we first committed to adoption 8 years ago. But, the greatest miracle is the change in ME!

If you have questions about adoption, our work in South Africa, or spina bifida, please email me at rbmattox@bellsouth.net

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Snaggle Tooth, Hermit Crabs, and Wishes





I almost waited too late to take this photo. Yes, Josie-Tatum has lost both of her two front teeth. She lost one on a Friday night, and the next on a Saturday. One more reason for the wish girl to wish she were her sister.....see the last part of this post.

Hermit Crabs


We have house guests this weekend. Their names are Junie B. and Jim. They're hermit crabs, and I have no idea if one is truly female while the other is male. How could you tell??? Josie-Tatum was thrilled to be chosen to "babysit" the class hermit crabs for the weekend. It might surprise you, well, no it won't, that Ellie has done her share of pouting over the fact that she did not get to bring home hermit crabs. Finally, though, both of the girls have had enough time watching the hermit crabs do whatever it is that hermit crabs do, and they're arguing less, while simply enjoying our house guests.

Wishes


Ellie broke my heart months ago, when she said, "I wish I was Josie." As we talked, she shared how she wished she could use to potty and wear panties like Josie-Tatum does. Our conversation that day centered around God's love for her, and his plans for her, all of her special abilities.

She has begun to say, "I wish I was Josie," more often.

"I wish I was Josie. Josie-Tatum doesn't have to use a catheter."

"I wish I was Josie. Josie-Tatum doesn't have to wear braces."

"I wish I was Josie. She knows her numbers better than I do." Well, yeah, Josie-Tatum is 6-years-old. You will know numbers better when you are 6.

But a recent conversation gave me a chuckle.

Ellie said, "I wish I was Josie," and, once again, I felt the lump in my throat. When asked why this time, she said, "Josie-Tatum doesn't get many spankings." I really did laugh...out loud. I said, "Ellie, Josie-Tatum doesn't get many spankings because she obeys her mama more than you do." (Yes, we do spank out our house, for open disobedience, but we use many other forms of discipline as well.)

But, here's the good part of this story. Ellie's behavior has been better. Several times, I've asked her to do something, she starts to disobey, checks herself, and then says, "Yes, ma'am. That's obeying, right Mama?"

Wow!!! Why did it take me two years to get you to understand that part of the behavior management plan?

So, tonight, pray for our strong-willed Ellie, pray for her parents to guide her to monitor her behavior, while remaining the vivacious Ellie we all love. And, especially pray that we can continue to teach her that she is fearfully and wonderfully made!!!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Love it!!! Isn't it just wonderful when all of a sudden it clicks!!! How cool to have the hermit crabs.

Anonymous said...

I think a while back I wrote of admiring Ellie's courage as I watched her walk across your porch on a video you made. I knew when I posted that I should have included this part of the story, too.

Ever since watching my dear Father loose his battle with his illness, (he did gain Heaven!:),I have been making a list of the Heroes of my Heart.

Ellie was added to my list that day, as I watched her "Walk the Porch". Tears streamed down my face and I thanked Jesus for her precious life and her family!

Now, Miss Ellie needs to know that Miss Holly (Anna's Momma) would have been so sad not to be able to pray that prayer for Ellie if she wasn't ELLIE! :)

Thank you, Ellie for being just who you are. You've blessed my life and you are one of my littlest Heroes.:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey, Robbie!
That's me, hollym. from the B boards up above at dhm78. I forgot to sign the long post!

Musings from Kim K. said...

There are definitely BIG things planned for Miss Ellie. I can't wait to see what is in store.

JT's missing front teeth are just adorable. Love it!!!

Have a blessed week ahead, Robbie.

Dawn S. said...

Love the teeth! Or the lack of, that is...

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post! I am smiling BIG and giggling as I imagine Ellie, all attitude and cuteness ... my Brynn and she would get along GREAT!

Way to go, JT, on the teeth!!! You look GREAT!

So how far is it from Wisconsin to GA, anyway??? =o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ellie Min Chun

Ellie Min Chun
Josie-Tatum's MeiMei