Why We Call Our Blog the Miracle of More

The miracle is a beautiful image of Ephesians 3:20--more than I can ask or imagine. Every day is a miracle. Every moment is a miracle. Specifically for our family, the miracle of more is our family growing in ways I would never have imagined when we first committed to adoption 8 years ago. But, the greatest miracle is the change in ME!

If you have questions about adoption, our work in South Africa, or spina bifida, please email me at rbmattox@bellsouth.net

Friday, December 3, 2010

Dreaded Words

No mother wants to hear this:

"Robbie, Josie-Tatum is fine, but...........

Yeah, that's what I heard yesterday at 4:45. And the conversation continued, "There's been an accident at the gym. I've called the ambulance. Now, we need your here."

Do you know how fast I drove those 3 miles with lots of turns and stops? Then, there was a train. As I took the detour, I kept praying, "Jesus, please let me get to my baby. Please let me get to my baby."



My heart sank, just seeing the ambulance when I arrived and the EMT's beside her.

One EMT was back at the ambulance calling the hospital to get permission to give her morphine before they moved her. That's when I knew it wasn't good. Her coach pulled up the shirt that she had used to cover Josie-Tatum's arm so she couldn't see it. I felt sick to my stomach. Her bones were definitely in the wrong position.

After morphine was administerd, the EMT's splinted her arm, loaded her up in the ambulance, and I had the first ever ambulance ride in my 46 years.

When we arrived at the hopstial, I thought we might wait a while.

Not.....

You learn how serious something is by how fast you are treated in an ER.

We went straight to x-ray after some initial information was given.

The doctor wanted Stan and me to come take a look. He said one parent at at time could look while the other waited with Josie-Tatum. Stan went first and came out crying.

When it was my turn, I saw something like this:



Only the upper part of her humerus was further away from her elbow than the one in this photo I found on the internet.

So, as I talked with the ER doctor, who was oh so wonderful, by the way, he let me know that this type of injury required immediate surgery. The orthopedic surgeon was on his way.

We were placed into a room to wait and within 3 hours of the intial phone call, she was in OR. The wait was excruciating just the same. While her pain was alleviated, and they had to give her a little more morphine, she was terrified.

Everything frightened her. What's going to happen next? Why are they taking me to the hospital? What will the doctor do now? What happens in that room? I don't want to go to sleep. I heard them saw they would put me to sleep. Please don't cut off my leotard. She would calm down, something would uspet, and then we couldn't reason with her again.

I prayed the peace that passes understand. I reminded her that God has not given us a spirit of fear.

We were surrounded by family and friends.

Our wonderful pastor came. I tear up again just remembering. He had already prayed with Josie-Tatum while I was out of the room talking with the ortho. He prayed with us again when I entered the room. And, when they gave Josie-Tatum the dose of medicine to help ease her into sleep before taking her away from her mama, he leaned down to her ear, "Jesus loves you. Jesus will be with you. Jesus is taking care of you."

And, after 2 hours, we saw her again.

A peaceful face.

A repaired arm.

The night was not nearly as difficult as I thought it might be. She slept better than I did....right moms? I'm operating on a few hours right now.

And, no we're home. So, for those who've worried, here she is:



She's still not quite herself. Her face seems puffy from all of the fluids in her IV. She complains of pain, only when she moves her arm, praise the LORD!

So, for those who were praying last night, "Thank you!" And, for those who've just read of our ordeal, "Thank you." For I know you will begin to pray.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see that smile! I can't imagine how you felt. I'm so thankful that we have a Savior who never leaves us be.

Anita said...

Oh Robbie - I'm so sorry for JT and you guys...all the fear and anxiety and pain! But sooo thankful for her safety, for her doctors/surgeons and for that peace of Jesus, too! I know what those ambulance rides are like....we've had 2 with Kaylin. AWFUL, I say, AWFUL!! Praying for rest for you today, continued pain freedom for JT and healing.

HUGS!!...now I know what you meant in your previous comment to me. ;)

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm so sorry for JT. Poor thing. Poor Momma too! What a scary ordeal for everyone. Praying for continued healing. Please keep us posted.

Becky said...

Oh Robbie! Poor JT and poor Mommy! We will keep you both in our prayers.

Chelsea Gour said...

Oh how scary and traumatic! We will certainly be praying for mom and Josie-Tatum! I guess it will be a while before she is back in the gym. Prayers for a peaceful Christmas!!

Marla said...

Oh poor sweet girl! That is so scary, for all of you. I pray she heals quickly and that you do, too. Hugs from Texas!

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Praise God JT is okay... oh my...what a night for you all. How scary that must have been.

Prayers for healing and thankfulness that she is okay.

Love and blessings,
Robin

Anonymous said...

Geeze I could hardly breathe as I read this post until I read that she came through alright! We have experienced many breaks and the trauma part is never easy! Praying for rapid healing and pain relief! HUGS to you all and hope you are able to rest today! ???Hear from the paperwork yet?

Terry said...

Oh God Bless her little heart...such a brave face! I know what it is like to be ushered right into emergency. Asher always goes straight back.

She's young, she will heal, In Jesus Name!

Sarah said...

Wow - I'm just catching up. Glad the surgery went well and they repaired her arm.

It's terrifying when something's wrong with our babies, isn't it?

Goosegirl said...

Oh Robbie, poor baby!! Ahnalin did this last year and it was awful. She was, however, thrilled when she found out that the pins put into her humerus were hot pink. It took 2 surgeries and a 4 month break from ballet, but she is good as new now and no more broken bones this year.
I pray that JT heals well and has no complications. Give her a hug from us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ellie Min Chun

Ellie Min Chun
Josie-Tatum's MeiMei