Why We Call Our Blog the Miracle of More

The miracle is a beautiful image of Ephesians 3:20--more than I can ask or imagine. Every day is a miracle. Every moment is a miracle. Specifically for our family, the miracle of more is our family growing in ways I would never have imagined when we first committed to adoption 8 years ago. But, the greatest miracle is the change in ME!

If you have questions about adoption, our work in South Africa, or spina bifida, please email me at rbmattox@bellsouth.net

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Home Sweet Home

We're home, we're home, but my heart aches for Africa. I imagine that those of you who've been on mission trips understand that feeling well. It was so good to see my family, give and receive hugs and kisses, sleep in my own bed, and shower in my own shower. But, today with so much to do around here, my mind continually thinks of Africa.

So, today, I thought I'd share all of the joy we had serving our Jesus our last day in Shayandima.

We first visited with the grandmother of Faith, Solomon, and Shandanki. She lives in a small home, with a garden carefully tended, and an outdoor kitchen. She is 84 years old, and responsible for caring for her 8 grandchildren since their parent's passed away. We took her food, which she was ever so grateful for. When asked how the little children were enjoying their new school, (they'd only been there for a week), she said they loved it so much they wanted to know if there was school on Saturday.
My heart ached when she asked us to pray that she would have many more days to take care of her grandchildren. We did pray right there, and I ask you to pray for her as well.





We visited Shandakani at school again. She had only been in the school for one week, but already there is so much change in her. She was timid when we met her the week before, but when she saw that I wanted to take her picture again, she leaned in and smiled. You should have seen the expression on her face when I showed her the photos of her grandmother and her home we had taken earlier that day. She readily gave me a hug, and proudly showed me she could count to 30 in English. Oh, how I would love to hug her again.




We visited Auntie Hannah's school. Auntie Hannah is 80 years old. She asked Brad and Hazel to help her start a school in her community to help the children there. She recieves only a pension for the elderly, receives no money from the school, but she is there EVERYDAY faithfully serving.


We went back to Auntie Lydia's where we gave each of the children a new towel, washcloth, and a bar of soap. (I am so reminded of all of the things in my home that I take for granted.)


I got to see Adi again! That was the best surprise. When we drove up to Auntie Lydia's, many of the young people were home from school, but I didn't see Adi. I asked her if he was still at creche, an she sent the girls to go get him without my asking.
When he saw me, and I opened my arms, he came running to them. We played, and laughed. He laughed more and talked more. I so wish I could have spent more time with him, but I am encouraged that he will start school in Shayandima next January, at the start of their school year. AND, he will live there Monday-Friday. AND, if we can continue the fund raising, we can build a new home for him, Zwavhudi, Faith, Solomon, and Shandakani.


Feeding the Widows--These photos are from our day on Friday--oops




Ground-Breaking!
The most exciting activity, though, was the ground-breaking. Brad and Hazel said we would take a step of faith, and go ahead and break the ground for the orphan's home. We must now get busy raising the funds here in the US!


Thank you for your prayers. Please continue to pray for the children of South Africa. Please pray for God's provisions for the orphans' home. Please pray for Brad and Hazel, and Build the Nations.

Join me in Anticipating the Inconceivable!

5 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

What an amazing journey. Thank you for sharing this with all of us. Those pictures are absolutely priceless. I'm so proud of both of you. JT is such a blessing and an inspiration. Welcome home, Robbie!!

Unknown said...

Welcome home, my friend!

Stirm Family said...

Welcome home! Thank you so much for sharing your journey. It sounds like some awesome things happened.

Grimes Family said...

This was awsome to follow!!! Jason is flying our of Peru tonight.... I can hardly wait to hear about all that God has done!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful chapter in your lives!! Welcome Home! I know that you left part of your heart in Africa. It's amazing how quickly we attach to people and the love just grows, like adoption!!:)
Take care and rest up a bit!
hollym.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ellie Min Chun

Ellie Min Chun
Josie-Tatum's MeiMei